baslinux - Re: [BL] Ontracks' Dynamic Disk Overlay

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ontracks' Dynamic Disk Overlay
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 17:38:16 +0000 (UTC)

The disk which spinrite implies is 16GB (3GB total partitions, 18% used) is detected by syschk under ide1 as 2GB, under ide1 info as 1.5GB, and under logical as 1.5GB. I have on it 1.5GB of DOS partitions.

Maxtor 81620a3 - found online as 1.6GB

The moral is that old diagnostic programs cannot handle new hardware.
I won't believe spinrite.

But we still have two drives from which we removed DDO's that DOS can only partition/format as 503MB (fdisk or PQMagic) but linux detects as 1.2GB or 1.9GB and can partition as such. Once partitioned with linux fdisk, don't try to change things with a DOS partitioning program.

DDOs can be removed by low-level formatting. Something that came with the computer BIOS worked on the EZ-DRIVE drive, but we needed the actual Maxtor powermax.exe on their boot disk to low-level format the Maxtor with Ontrack's DDO. dd if=/dev/zero messed things up worse, but did let us boot from floppy disk without hitting space bar first.