baslinux - Re: [BL] Ontracks' Dynamic Disk Overlay

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ontracks' Dynamic Disk Overlay
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 16:45:37 +0000 (UTC)

I have a 1.9GB drive from which I removed a DDO in the MBR (or maybe at the end of the drive) which DOS programs recognize as being 503MB.

This includes FreeDOS Fdisk and PQMagic.

Powermax.exe for Maxtor did a 90-sec quick test which is FAILED, but the burnin passed and I have a certified error-free drive.

Spinrite is happy with the speeds but it does not like the size of the second partition, which is larger than the drive size. I have another drive (currently used for linux) with three partitions, the third of which is 'larger than the drive size'. I think we took EZ-DRIVE off of this one. I am instructed not to run Spinrite on it before fixing the 'problem' (which is a DOS problem only).

Spinrite just also passed this 1.9GB drive - no defects.

So the explanation is not that the partition table is bad, but that DOS is not correctly reading it somehow.

On this most recent drive, I have a 200MB and a 1.7GB linux partition and DOS thinks the drive is 503MB.

The summary of this is that if you take a DDO off of a drive, you may not be able to use more than 503MB of it in DOS but it works fine in linux. Don't believe DOS diagnostic programs.

We have one other drive (used for linux) which is not found by:
Spinrite
LTools
Syschk (part of it)

I still need a 1G replacement DOS drive. We have a little arrangement with the place we used to volunteer whereby we fix tape decks and CD players and get free small stuff that they have too many of.

But I know now that I do NOT need to replace my other linux drive with overlarge partition, which has worked perfectly, and I can even use that partition now.

Can anyone explain why even after removing the DDO, DOS won't detect the full drive size, on a more recent BIOS that should work with 2G?