baslinux - Re: [BL] Can't compile 486 kernel

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can't compile 486 kernel
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 18:02:28 +0000 (UTC)

I compiled zimage.4dz based on Steven's standard BL3 (i386) kernel config file since he did not post one for the 4dx. I change 486 to 486, answered N to FPU, and also to ide-cd and iso9660 (my computer has no CD-ROM drive), and to ethernet. Since I use English I answered Y to 437 charset.
I added vfat because otherwise I need to mount -t msdos.

I had to ADD support for scsi (scsi_mod.o), sd (sd_mod.o), and imm.o (I also added ppp.o in case anyone has a very old parport zip drive).

The kernel which David used in the boot floppy for parport zip drive was for pentium only. David, was this BL3 or BL2 kernel? BL2 kernel already supports imm.o, don't know if BL3 zimage.p1 also does.

So it would not work with our zip drive on a 486 laptop, to which I wanted to transfer files via zip drive because it has no CD-ROM drive. I don't know if BL3 zimage.4dz supports zip drives (386 version does not). Mine ought to. http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/zimage.4dz - 486 DX with parport zip drive support).

My kernel is 436K without ethernet or CD-ROM module support, but with vfat and four additional modules (scsi sd ppa imm) and Steven's .4dx is
432K with the support.

I have been using plip to transfer files to this computer but it messes up fs.img files. So we split them to two floppy disks, but our floppy drive is also not working well. Another option would be a PCMCIA ethernet card. I can buy a Xircom cheap and 2.2.16 has the driver module zirc2ps_cs.o for the RE-100. Has anyone on this list used one already?

But we want to set up linux on three pentium laptops and copy from the first to the others, and don't want to buy two cards. The parport zip drive is mobile. We would need to transfer in 100MB chunks. Without the compiler, I now have about 150Mb of linux files. I could spend $15 for a used 250MB zip drive. Or borrow one.

Or we could use one ethernet PCMCIA card and transfer via a desktop computer.

Other ideas?