baslinux - Re: [BL] Ontracks' Dynamic Disk Overlay

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ontracks' Dynamic Disk Overlay
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 04:22:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 14 May 2005, James Miller wrote:

On Sun, 15 May 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

Is there a free linux disk manager - perhaps 'partition manager' - that could handle this job?

Maybe what you want is parted (partition editor)?

I took a look at Ranish Partition Manager (which I downloaded earlier on someone else's suggestion) but I don't think it can be used to actually change the apparent number of cylinders to under 1024 so that DOS can see them all. I will look closer.

I ran across TestDisk at www.cgsecurity.com which is open license and is precompiled for DOS, Windows or Linux (nearly 1MB download) and can analyze CHS geometry (cylinder head sector) and write new partition table and MBR but I think it is mainly for recovering lost partitions in case you accidentally deleted the partition table.

I deliberately deleted the first 1K - is this the partition table?

We should be prepared for more of this DDO stuff when using drives
504MB to 2GB (overkill for BL but the larger drives are also faster).

I will attempt to fix the next drive myself somehow to test out various programs. The Ontrack program is not free.

James