baslinux - Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:09:12 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, David Moberg wrote:

I haven't had any troubles with mpg123. As long as you don't outplay
your bandwidth, you should be fine.

I was getting 2.7K max download speeds from this setup.

As instructed by Steven, I added in pppsetup

0 init1 ATW2 (it might be nice to have this as the default)

and next time I connected I typed

eznet log

I was connected at 28800. I repeated this experiment, same result.

The 56K part of this modem seems to be dead.

I have another modem that connects at 45333 but when turned on all the phones in the house go dead, and you need to dial within 1 sec of turning it on and then it keeps disconnecting too.

The third modem (last possibility) connected at 44000 (and hung up in 7 min) then again at 42000. (We got these for $1 each, can't complain).

My test station (Davidson NC) was 504 busy at 4 pm (which is when most other stations stop playing classical music).

http://www.live365.com/play/kcme at 32K works now but is still a bit choppy (cuts out every few seconds). Still sounds better than 24K did at 28,800.

Does it actually buffer somehow?

I don't usually need any for 32K stuff. I think the connection does
make a big difference.

(Suggestion of how to buffer)

wget -O buffered.mp3 http://www.domain.com/mp3.mp3 &
# Wait 1 minute
mpg123 buffered.mp3

This produced a zero-length buffered.mp3 file which mpg123 obediently tried to play for me.

Your suggestion with mkfifo buffer and cat buffer|mpg123 - did the same.

Have you actually tried these?

That's how you buffer it for a minute. Is there much choppiness?

David