baslinux - Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:31:38 +0000 (UTC)

kernels before 2.5.something that simply won't work with
cdrecord and certain models of CD-ROM burner.
(see my previous posting from last year)

You said back then that 2.2 couldn't even access the CD drive.
Was this with ide-scsi? I may have a look at 2.6. It's on the
back burner for now.

However cdrecord was normally used, it would not work with this drive and 2.2.16. Probably ide-scsi.

Mine is a Samsung,
burns at 4X (in DOS, anyway). So even compiling cdrecord, latest
version, is not going to make it work with this burner unless one
uses a later kernel than 2.2.16.
Can you compile kernel 2.6 and modules with uClibC?

With uClibc? Do you mean link it against uClibc?
I don't know what I mean. Is there some way to get 2.6 smaller?

I will check later - currently online with DOS (via local bbs). I
have already tried something like this - I started to download a
large MP3 file (128K) and I was able to play it before it finished.
It stopped in the middle, of course.

I think there might be a way to force it to keep trying to play:
It stopped in the middle because that is where the file stopped.
If I had downloaded more it would have played longer. I kept downloading and each time I could play more of the file because I had more of it.
So this was working as predicted.

mkfifo buffer
wget -O buffer http://blahblahblah &
sleep 60
cat buffer | mpg123 -

Replace 60 with desired number of seconds to buffer, or just time
it manually.

This would be fine if the station were not streaming the mp3 faster than my connection speed.

David