baslinux - Re: [BL] aliases and .xinitrc

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] aliases and .xinitrc
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:52:50 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

icewm&
exec opera&
rxvt

Is this correct?

No, I would do it this way:
---------
icewm &
opera &
exec rxvt

Okay, I will add that.

---------

Then why do you object to a complete icewm installation?

I have no use for the various programs that are included
with it (graphical clock and calculator)

Graphic clock? Calculator? I must have missed those.
No sign of them in my icewm.

I just mounted and chrooted to BL3 on vt4 (from BL2) and the BL3 icewm, under utilities, has an analog clock (with a dial and hands) and a big colorful graphical calculator. Does BL2 icewm not have these? I don't have it on this computer to compare. I installed the BL3 icewm package but did not want to install the BL2-X package because I was doing Xvesa instead of Xvga, so I only picked out one piece at a time until it worked and the utilities did not make it there.

Maybe the clock and calculator were left over from swm?

I just lost the cursor in VGA when I exited Xvesa to 80x30 so I cannot look at the files (mini_httpd is using the other mda console - I should have type & after it). I suppose I should give up on 80x30.

or all the themes.

It's easy to delete unneeded theme files. Ditto fonts.
The icewm config files are easily edited. Elements
are stored as separate files. Just delete the ones
you don't want.

Eventually I will add the menu and one theme
once I figure out just how to do that

The easiest way is to install the full config and
delete the files/directories you don't want.

Okay.

useless files all over the place (locale files take
up a few M, things for other hardware in glibc and
kernel a few more M).

Don't forget all the stuff in /usr/doc. It's amazing
how much accumulates in there. Every few months delete
the lot.

I think I have about 5MB of files on how to use db, which came with glibc, tho I have no idea what it does, and quite a bit of info on perl as well (I needed it in order to compile one program, I think it was an arrow mouse which did not work). I sometimes go through and delete COPYING and CHANGELOG and such - is there a way to do it with something like rm -r COPYING? The doc files are sometimes useful since they are easier to read than man pages.