baslinux - Re: [BL] HTTPD

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] HTTPD
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:08:04 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> The busybox httpd is in BL3. mini_httpd is in BL2. This way I can
> type httpd for both. Or mini_httpd -d directoryname in BL2 if I
> want to specify the directory not to be www so I can upload a file
> to my shell account from /tmp.

How about alias httpd="mini_http -d ./" for equivalent functionality
to the BusyBox httpd?

> > I found that using Control-C when the chroot warning came up put
> > me back into a terminal.
>
> I would have thought that would dump me back out of httpd.

That only happens if it is a foreground processs. If you run Xvesa &,
for example, you'll notice that pressing ^C doesn't kill X. However,
you should still see a warning message about not finding a font
directory (at least on BL3). If a foreground process is running, ^C
usually kills it. If not, it usually works somewhat like pressing
Backspace a bunch of times and then Enter.

> >> What does it mean to switch to user 'nobody' and what is chroot about?
> >> And what does daemonize itself mean?

Whereas many applications receive input from a console, or X, or Windows, or
something of that nature, daemons only receive input from a network.
Daemonize itself simply means it turns itself into such a daemon.

> I think I saw something about nobody in one of the files in /etc in
> BL2 or maybe BL3. Can't check right now - I tend to dial my shell
> account from DOS - is there more or less chance of someone changing
> things in my computer when I am using DOS to dial and go online?

Not if you're using something like Kermit. In fact, in that case, you're
not even on a network. The worst that could happen is that you
intentionally download a malicious file, and then run it.

> What is the probability of someone else breaking into my computer
> even if I am doing everything wrong (running telnetd and httpd,
> going online as root, using telnet not ssh, etc.) when I am dialed
> into the internet with BL3 or BL2?

If you're dialed in for a minute or so, very small. If you stay connected
for a year, very high.

(Removed about 5k of old postings beneath here.)

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com