baslinux - Re: [BL] BL and older floppy drives

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL and older floppy drives
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:46:50 +0000 (UTC)

I looked up the proper major and minor numbers on the web and then typed
mknod fd1d360 b 2 5
mknod fd0u720 b 2 16

Now I can mount and read 360K disks (in B:/fd1) and 720K (in A:/fd0).
The info came from a very interesting site that also discussed fdformat, floppymeter, and devices in general, as part of instructions for how to boot a particular linux that needed a very high density floppy disk to do so. You needed to check your floppy drive first.

You can also get MAKEDEV and instruct it to make all the fd0 devices, or MAKEFLOPPIES - probably just scripts like what I typed above.

sindi keesan wrote:

I don't want to include hundreds of devices
just to get one or two.

Then unpack just the one you want. For example,
if you've got a Slackware CDrom mounted at /cd
tar -zxf /cd/slakware/a1/devs.tgz dev/fd0u720
It was a lot quicker just to type one line, tho it did take a minute or so to find the information on what to type.