baslinux - Re: [BL] BL and older floppy drives

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL and older floppy drives
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:14:20 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> I don't want to include hundreds of devices
> just to get one or two.

Then unpack just the one you want. For example,
if you've got a Slackware CDrom mounted at /cd
tar -zxf /cd/slakware/a1/devs.tgz dev/fd0u720
Execute that command from the top directory of
your filesystem (cd /). That will put the new
file in the right directory.

> But 720K floppy disks work even in pentiums,

And old MFM (non-IDE) harddrives work in 486s.
I've actually booted one using the special
XT kernel from Slackware.

People with weirdo hardware are welcome to use
BasicLinux, but they might have to add a driver
or two from Slackware. I'm not going to clutter
up the default installation with dusty drivers
that few (if any) users need.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru