baslinux - Re: [BL] BL4 and uClibc

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL4 and uClibc
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:43:02 +1300

Sean Parker wrote:

> Just curious to hear what future plans there are
> for BL

When I did the first BL3, I thought about using uClibc
instead of libc5. uClibc was smaller, faster and
more up-to-date. However, at that time uClibc was
in transition. Major changes were in the works that
would make uClibc incompatible with all earlier
versions. Moreover, there was little precompiled
software for uClibc. So I went with libc5, for
which there are many precompiled Slackware packages.

> and what successes you've had with uClibc.

BL3 already has two significant uClibc components.
busybox and Xvesa are both (static) uClibc.
Neither of them would compile in libc5 so I did
them in uClibc. I haven't done any more uClibc
stuff (until now) because I didn't want to waste
time compiling binaries that would soon become
incompatible with the new uClibc. So I waited
for the new uClibc. And waited. And waited.

For nearly a year nothing happened. I began to
think that uClibc development had died. Then
suddenly two weeks ago the new uClibc appeared.
Yes, it's incompatible with earlier versions --
many, many changes have been made. But hopefully
we are now close to a stable version.

So I downloaded the new uClibc package and started
compiling stuff. I'm gradually replacing BL3
binaries with uClibc versions. So far so good.
I've also compiled a 2.2.26 kernel from the BL3
config and done some modules.

I'm in no particular rush. I check the uClibc
site nearly every day to see if this version is
going to stand the test of time. If not, I'll
probably have to start over.

> I would have thought someone could have put
> together a working system with uClibc by now
> but I haven't found one.

For a while Puppy Linux had a uClibc version
but it was pulled shortly after release. There
was also a uClibc version of Debian (but it had
all the usual Debian bloat). Neither of those
were compatible with the new uClib.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru