baslinux - Re: [BL] BL4 and uClibc

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL4 and uClibc
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:17:38 +1300

Mr Christopher Rose wrote:

> Will there be a way to "upgrade" from BL3.32
> (which is running on my laptop) to BL4

BL4 does not exist and may never exist. I'm just
having a play with uClibc and 2.2.26 to see if
something worthwhile comes from it.

> or would it be a case of fresh install.

A uClibc version would involve new libraries
and new binaries. A fresh install is probably
the way to go.

> Also, will emacs be supported with uClibc?

There's the rub. With uClibc everything will have
to be compiled from source (either by you or me or
somebody else). There is no collection of pre-compiled
uClibc packages (yet).

> I ask as I am contemplating adding emacs to my
> BL3.32 machine currently (tonight?).

That's the big advantage of libc5. Slackware 4 has
a pre-compiled emacs ready for you to install.

> what file(s) would I have to add for it to work?

I've never installed emacs, but it appears the packages
you want are in /slakware/e1
------------
emacsbin.tgz
emacmisc.tgz
emac_nox.tgz
They last package you install should be emac_nox.tgz
which is the non-X version of emacs (it is more likely
to work than the X version). After you have installed
all the packages, cd to /usr/bin and make sure the emacs
executable is the non-X version. For more details about
this see: /slakware/e1/diske1

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru