baslinux - [BL] BL and older floppy drives

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL and older floppy drives
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:28:10 +0000 (UTC)

I had to make a dev for my 360K floppy drive (which probably nobody else is using with a 486) since BL has only fd0h1200 fd0h1440 fd0u1440 fd0u1440.

I forget the exact format but the numbers used with mknod are
(you can see them with an ls -l)
fd0d360 - 2, 4 fd1d360 2, 5

mknod fd1d360 c 2 5 (?)

Now I realized why all my 720K floppy disks have been unreadable with linux, trying to access beyond end of device (a clue) and I need to mknod for them too but I cannot find online fd0d720 only fd0D720. I noticed for the 360 there are different numbers for d360 and D360 but I cannot find a d720. Why does BL use the d and h but not D and H? fd0D360 is 2,12 while d360 is 2,4. Are these different types of floppy drives? What I did for the d360 works.

Should I mknod fd0D720 (which is 2,16)?

Steven, could you please include at least the 720 in future versions of BL2? All of our 14.4 drives work with those (in DOS, anyway) and you say you are supporting older hardware (which these disks are - they are free around here).

I notice that Win98 FE messes up on the B: 360K drive (it gets stuck there and clunks for a while) and SE omits it entirely. Which is another reason to use linux instead of Windows. Newdeal (a DOS office suite) was going to remove support for the B: drive until several of us testers objected.
(Their wordprocessor and even their browser work in mda.)

Why do you include 1200? I think the 1772 is perfect disks formatted on a regular 3.5" drive to higher capacity as you go out from the center - is this right?

I was able to use the 720s with floppymeter (d setting).