baslinux - Re: [BL] BL4 and uClibc

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL4 and uClibc
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:09:27 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> Would you this time provide binaries dynamically-
> compiled using uClibc

Yes.

> and if so, could we add the uClibC library to BL3

Perhaps.

> (size?)

The uClibc libarary is around half the size of libc5

> I think you said you compiled an experimental 2.4
> kernel for Bl3 - how much larger was it?

The 2.4 was more than 100kb larger than a 2.2 with
the same config.

> any statically compiled package would work,

Most will. It depends on what helper files
(eg fonts) they expect.

> such as those from dietlibc?

The dietlibc collection is small and focusses on
utilities (many of which are already included in
busybox). Few statically compiled applications
are available anywhere.

> Is there some trick to compiling with uClibc,
> or won't it work with some source code?

I'm finding that most things compile with uClibc.
libc5 is 50-50 (neither busybox nor Xvesa compile
in libc5). The authors of uClibc have designed
it to address modern sourcecode. libc5 works fine
with sourcecode from 6 years ago, but since then
expectations have changed quite a bit.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru