baslinux - Re: [BL] BL4 and uClibc

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL4 and uClibc
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:15:14 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

Mr Christopher Rose wrote:

Will there be a way to "upgrade" from BL3.32
(which is running on my laptop) to BL4

BL4 does not exist and may never exist. I'm just
having a play with uClibc and 2.2.26 to see if
something worthwhile comes from it.

or would it be a case of fresh install.

A uClibc version would involve new libraries
and new binaries. A fresh install is probably
the way to go.

Would you this time provide binaries dynamically-compiled using uClibc and if so, could we add the uClibC library to BL3 (size?) if we just wanted to use your new binaries, while keeping libc5 so we could also use SW4.0 packages? And also use BL4 with a newer kernel (compiled using a modification of the Bl3 config) to work on newer hardware or older hardware such as my CD-burner that had a bug fixed in a recent 2.6? I think you said you compiled an experimental 2.4 kernel for Bl3 - how much larger was it?

There's the rub. With uClibc everything will have
to be compiled from source (either by you or me or
somebody else). There is no collection of pre-compiled
uClibc packages (yet).

But any statically compiled package would work, such as those from dietlibc?

Is there some trick to compiling with uClibc, or won't it work with some source code?