baslinux - [BL] Xvesa

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] Xvesa
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:15:40 +1300

As most of you will realize, Xvesa has been causing
us some problems. For example, it seems to have no
256-color mode (which is the minimum required for
AbiWord and links2).

However, an improved Xvesa could be on the horizon.
I've just compiled a new Xvesa (using the new uClibc
library and version 4.3 of X). I don't know whether
it's the library or the 4.3 sourcecode (the Xvesa
in BL3 is 4.2), but the new Xvesa seems to be quite
different. It now appears to have a good 256-color
mode. I can't be sure because I haven't compiled
any X applications yet (that's more complicated
because I have to compile some X libraries first).
Hopefully, I'll have a clearer idea about this
Xvesa in the next week or so.