baslinux - [BL] dietlibc *links*

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] dietlibc *links*
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:41:08 +0000 (UTC)

dietlibc offers various statically compiled binaries which are supposed to be smaller. They have links-ssl (2001), links (2002) and elinks (2003). I made a short comparison in BL3 between links-0.90 and links-ssl and elinks.

links-0.90 will NOT authenticate my loging and password at a bbs, and the other two authenticate perfectly.

None of them could handle signing in at ebay.

links-ssl host not found
links-0.90 page not found
elinks SSL error

I repeated with links-ssl and got a segmentation fault.

They will all, I think, display images. elinks is already set up with some extensions, just add a viewer. I also got links-ssl to view images.

elinks has lots of keybindings for things like download link or download image and you can make more keybindings or modify them.

links and links-ssl let you number links, which saves a lot of arrowing between them. Perhaps elinks would be usable with gpm or in X.

They all loaded almost instantly in my pentium with lots of RAM.

ps (how much memory do they use):
links-90 708K - it appears not to be upxed since the binary is
slightly larger than the others so I may upx it to save disk space

links-ssl 1236K
elinks 1624K

For BL3 in 4MB of working RAM I would not try using the latter two unless I REALLY needed to authenticate a login at my bbs via the web (and I can telnet and login instead). I can't imagine links2 fitting in 4MB RAM but I may still try compiling it to work with svgalib instead of X for computers with less than 15-bit color.

Even links-0.90 without swap file runs out of memory (do try to free pages failed for kswapd) when browsing without cache.

To use links2 pay $1 for an sdf account and telnet and browse there,
with javascript.

  • [BL] dietlibc *links*, sindi keesan, 12/16/2004