baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 loop won't install on laptop 386 sx-20 Ultra

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 loop won't install on laptop 386 sx-20 Ultra
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 07:55:02 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> How can I turn off color for ls?

Use ls from Slackware 4.0. The busybox ls is hardwired
for color.

> In X, I have a choice between plugging in a mouse
> or a modem.

I assume you have only one COM port. I assume you are
using an external modem.

> I have been checking swap file usage. 112 when I am
> not in X, maximum,

Are you sure that's really the maximum? Are you checking
swap at peak load (while processes are working hard)?
Or are you checking it from the CLI (when things are
fairly quiet)?

> even while loading links or telnet; or dialing.

If you want a demanding process, try gzip. My laptop
(12mb RAM), uses swap when it gzips a large tar.

> I think 6.7MB is too much for this system.

I disagree.

> I recommend not bothering with swap file on a 4.7MB
> laptop, and not using X.

I disagree.

> Or using X with 3MB swap file only.

I disagree.

> The computer is just too slow to wait for it to be
> swapping things around.

Swapping things around is actually faster than loading/
unloading things (which is what happens when you have
insufficient working memory)

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru