baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 loop won't install on laptop 386 sx-20 Ultra

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 loop won't install on laptop 386 sx-20 Ultra
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:54:15 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Would BL1 on HD be a better bet for our 386 with 3MB RAM,

Probably. Particularly if you use the lowmem.i kernel.

I will take a look. What does lowmem.i leave out compared to the Bl1 kernel?

Out of curiosity, how much space does it take up in the
kernel when you answer m instead of n

Very, very little.

SW21 came with a lowram text explaining how to install
to a system with only 4MB RAM. This does not augur well
for running it in 2MB RAM.

It's just an installation problem (which uses a ramdisk).
Once you get it on HD, it should be OK. It shouldn't be
too difficult to figure a way of getting it installed
without a ramdisk. Two methods that immediately come
to mind are: (1) use UMSDOS to do the installation, or
(2) temporarily shift the HD to a more powerful system
for installation.

The problem with shifting hard drives between laptops is that this tends to destroy the keyboard cable which we have already done on two machines.
On some machines you can get at the hard drive more easily.