baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 loop won't install on laptop 386 sx-20 Ultra

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 loop won't install on laptop 386 sx-20 Ultra
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 06:09:03 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> I am wondering how much smaller the BL3 kernel could
> be compiled for 3MB systems

Not much.

> so that they would have more than 700K to work in.

Your best option for a system with 2mb or 3mb RAM is
a very early Slackware (pre-3). One of our Slackware
mirrors has it (at least it did last time I looked).

> Module support:
> PCI support:
>
> if the above were left out, how much RAM would it save,

Not much.

> would you be interested in compiling a 386-lowram kernel?

You've already got it. The only thing that would
significantly reduce the size of the current 2.2.16
kernel is removing networking capability. IMHO it
is networking that makes an old PC really useful.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru