baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 loop won't install on laptop 386 sx-20 Ultra

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 loop won't install on laptop 386 sx-20 Ultra
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:19:38 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> Memtest finds 4736K of RAM. Memtest tries to check
> 80K - 5M. It gets (very very slowly) to test 12
> On the 386 it crashes:

Clearly, crashing on memtest is a bad sign.

> Might you want to mention this on your website, where
> it says you can use BL3 on a 386 and you need 4MB RAM
> and 25MB DOS partition?

Where exactly does it say you need a 25mb DOS partition?

> > I realize that you've had some problems transfering, but
> > there is nothing magic about the big zip file that trips
> > up your plip transfer.
>
> We did this at least ten times on various hardwares. Via
> plip or llpro/parallel the img file always got corrupted,
> even inside the zip file.
> Nothing else ever gets corrupted.

Sounds like voodoo to me. It's a zip file. The file zips,
no problem. The file unzips, no problem. The zip file is
transfered, no problem, with perfect md5sum. But somehow,
when this particular zip file is unzipped, it is corrupted.
Spooky.

> I transferred, via plip, 150MB of my entire linux installation
> and everything came through okay.

I assume that was a tgz and you used Linux to unpack it?

> But the plip transfer of under 3MB bl3-32.zip did not

Then you should consider whether your unzipper could be at
fault. I assume you were using DOS to unzip?

I recommend you do an md5sum at both ends of the transfer.
If the md5sums tally, then the transfer is OK. The focus
then goes the unzipping process.

> I think this means that 8MB RAM holds 2.3MB of kernel

The BL3 kernel is much smaller than that. See dmesg:
884k kernel code, 416k reserved, 1496k data, 36k init

> How would one switch to an external monitor?

Some laptops auto-detect an external monitor (plug it in
before you boot). This capability might be selectable
in CMOS setup. Otherwise, there is probably a hotkey:
some special key (Fn?) plus one of the F keys perhaps?

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru