baslinux - Re: [BL] CD-R burner bug requires 2.5.43 kernel

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] CD-R burner bug requires 2.5.43 kernel
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:38:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, sindi keesan wrote:

Today I unzipped and tried the DOS version of cdrecord, compiled in 2003 (SW8?). It worked just like in linux except it automatically (when you type cdrecord?) accesses both our CD drives as scsi. cdrecord -scanbus revealed that the first SCSI drive dev=0,0,0 was the CD-ROM reader and the second one 0,1,0 the writer. SO I typed readcd 0,1,0 f=filename.raw.
It copied perfectly. I tried it on the computer where linux is not working with that one CD-R/RW due to some bug in the cd-rom part of the kernel (or module) and it still does not work. DOS compiled source code with the same bug. Maybe some day there will be a newer DOS version.

There was no need to boot specially (ignore=hdc) or load any modules. The
program apparently does this for you. We don't have anything scsi set up on this computer.

I am going to look for some way to write multisession CD-ROMs. cdrecord by default 'fixated' the two CDs so I could not add more files to them.

Then I tried to use DOS cdroast (based on source code which is not available for linux) and it will identify and work on only the first CD-ROM drive which is both our cases is not the recorder but the read-only. We need to switch the drives from hdd to hdb and try again.

DOS cdroast (by a Hungarian who forgot to translate the error messages telling you that you forgot to insert a CD) works with this drive and in order to use the second of two cdrom drives /id=0:1:0 (the default is 0:0:0 or the first drive). The cdcopy batch file still opens and closes the second drive but it could be modify not to open/close either drive. I foun d no way to specifiy the drive for that purpose, but apart from that the file could be modified to also read from one drive (cd2file) and write to the other drive (file2cd). It appears to also have other tools for making cda to wav to mp3. Nice package and I will look for a linux port. It is based on a DOS/Windows DAO program part of which is freeware.