baslinux - Re: [BL] CD-R burner bug requires 2.5.43 kernel

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] CD-R burner bug requires 2.5.43 kernel
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 00:53:47 +0000 (UTC)

Today I unzipped and tried the DOS version of cdrecord, compiled in 2003 (SW8?). It worked just like in linux except it automatically (when you type cdrecord?) accesses both our CD drives as scsi. cdrecord -scanbus revealed that the first SCSI drive dev=0,0,0 was the CD-ROM reader and the second one 0,1,0 the writer. SO I typed readcd 0,1,0 f=filename.raw.
It copied perfectly. I tried it on the computer where linux is not working with that one CD-R/RW due to some bug in the cd-rom part of the kernel (or module) and it still does not work. DOS compiled source code with the same bug. Maybe some day there will be a newer DOS version.

There was no need to boot specially (ignore=hdc) or load any modules. The
program apparently does this for you. We don't have anything scsi set up on this computer.

I am going to look for some way to write multisession CD-ROMs. cdrecord by default 'fixated' the two CDs so I could not add more files to them.

Then I tried to use DOS cdroast (based on source code which is not available for linux) and it will identify and work on only the first CD-ROM drive which is both our cases is not the recorder but the read-only. We need to switch the drives from hdd to hdb and try again.

For some reason cdrtools comes with instructions in .ps or .man format so I need to run the first through some convertor. I don't have a ps2ascii but I am sure they exist. Or man2html (in linux) and then lynx or links.

Has anyone compiled SANE for their hardware? The version in SW81 is huge and includes parallel port and USB support and many models. I have HP scanjet 3p and 5p scsi and only want to compile for those. I will try using version 0.54 of the source code and compile statically so it will work on any BL, with scsi modules loaded, and post the result. The SW81 version also includes a lot of graphical frontends and needs jpeg library and has something to do with gimp. All I want is to make simple copies.
I hope I can configure to compile for CLI only, and just HP.