baslinux - Re: [BL] soundcard support for bl3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] soundcard support for bl3
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:19:35 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I will try BL3 sound as soon as the new version is posted.
I stopped downloading new versions after the first three
since I had made a lot of changes to it that I did not want
to keep remaking. With the new links2 and icewm most of my
changes are now unnecessary.

I'm going to have do to a new icewm package for the new
BL3. The old installation script for icewm was designed
to position it in the old xinitrc. But the new BL3 needs
a different xinitrc (because of the new xinit). The old
icewm package will foul the new xinitrc.

Would it make any sense to continue using swm in the floppy disk version (which needs to stay small) but icewm as default in the loop version? Either one can install to HD ext2 partition, you said.

Could the icewm installation script offer the chance to remove swm to save space? I presume it would modify .xinitrc anyway.

I don't like swm because it is designed around a mouse. You could make icewm smaller by not offering a choice of themes, and not include X clock and calculator. There are smaller console programs for those (in fact I think you included a console calculator program - was it in BL3?)

It must be exciting to be accomplishing the impossible like this.