baslinux - [BL] Xvesa and mouse problems continue

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Xvesa and mouse problems continue
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:07:16 +0000 (UTC)

Xvesa tends to crash when I exit it (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace) even in BL2 when not running anything but rxvt. It is rather unstable and easily upset.

I got the fonts working in BL2 with Xvesa. I had messed up the symlink:

ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts /var/X11R6/lib/fonts.

Opera apparently looks in /var not /usr for its fonts.

Opera for Windows offers Verdana. The linux version does not, which confused me, probably because I have not loaded Verdana. Is there a linux Verdana font somewhere? It was designed specifically for screen legibility. I chose Helvetica instead.

My Xvesa in BL2 setup requires about 1.5M of lib files, fonts (I loaded them all and will remove most of them eventually), and 1M of Xvesa, plus rxvt and xinit which are small. It includes the dependencies for rxvt, Opera, and xv as well as Xvesa. Also a minimal icewm without backgrounds or clocks or other little programs, or menu. This is less than the 10MB you get if you load everything Steven suggested. If anyone is interested I could package this eventually - just installpkg and add fonts. Or use the scrawny Xvesa fonts if you have a magnifier.

After my first PS/2 mouse worked okay in SVGAlib (links2) with acceleration turned off but not in Xvesa (it acted accelerated, scooting
to the screen edge and staying there), I put on a 'Zenith' PS/2 mouse Model FDM-210 made in Taiwan. This one does nothing at all in SVGAlib or X. Move the mouse, the pointer does not move.

I then put on an 'HP' made in China and it works for everything.
I never had any problems yet with serial mice in linux.
Linux is fussier than DOS or Windows about its mice, apparently.
Why?

I also discovered why my Kingston ethernet card that uses tulip.o does not work in BL2 - it requires a later version of the driver than SW71 offers. I could attempt to compile my own module but I put in our last 3COM 3c509 instead.

DOS sound is working much better now that Ron told me to update the SB16
drivers. I updated to 1996 and my midi player works where it used to not work. I will attempt linux sound again soon, the last obstacle to getting rid of Windows (Realaudio). The computer stopped finding its hard drives as soon as I got DOS sound working but unplugging/replugging fixed that for a while. I thought maybe the sound overstressed this computer, which has been through dead hard drive and killed fan already and can't recognize zimage using loadlin without help from Win98DOS.

What else do other BL users still need Windows for? I used it only for Realaudio, CD-recording, scanner and reading WORD files. Also for using the newer printers - next challenge. How does one add a printer driver to gs? Do I need to recompile it?

Ron fixed the missing /dev files problem with SB16 by installing devs.tgz.
Overkill but it was a lot faster than learning to make sound devices.
We have a book on DSP - digital signal processing. The CD with it requires Windows or Mac :=(.