baslinux - Re: [BL] soundcard support for bl3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] soundcard support for bl3
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:52:03 +1200

sindi keesan wrote:

> Would it make any sense to continue using swm in
> the floppy disk version

Yes.

> but icewm as default in the loop version?

No. The two versions of BL3 will remain the same.

> Either one can install to HD ext2 partition, you said.

Yes.

> Could the icewm installation script offer the chance
> to remove swm to save space?

You do realize that swm is just 18kb ?

> I presume it would modify .xinitrc anyway.

The icewm package modifies ~/.xinitrc to boot icewm
instead of swm.

> You could make icewm smaller by not offering a choice
> of themes,

I've already reduced the size of icewm in the package.
Even the smallest possible icewm is ten times larger
than swm.

> and not include X clock and calculator.

Those have nothing to do with the choice of wm. Those
are applications. I could certainly remove applications
to make room for a (much) bigger wm, but the purpose of
the applications is to give people a selection of things
to do with their GUI.

BTW the X clock in BL3 is just 9kb in size. This is
trivial compared to the hundreds of kb needed for icewm.

> There are smaller console programs for those

You'd be hard pressed to find a console program that puts
a nice clock on the screen for 9kb.

BL3 has many utilities and applications under 20kb in size.
You could remove all of them (reducing functionality by a
significant amount) and still not have room for icewm.
Don't get me wrong: compared to KDE and Gnome, icewm is
small. But in the context of BL3, icewm is too big to be
the default wm.

> I think you included a console calculator program -

dc

> was it in BL3?

Yes. Such console utilities are particularly important for
systems with insufficient resources to run X. Even though
BL3 includes X, it also provides a lot of CLI functionality
for low-RAM and slow-CPU systems.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru