baslinux - Re: [BL] uClibc and BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] uClibc and BL3
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:41:58 +1200

sindi keesan wrote:

> > So BL3 contains static uClibc versions of busybox and
> > Xvesa.
>
> Would the BL3 Xvesa that you compiled also work in BL2?

Probably.

> Is there any chance of your posting an xvesa add-on for BL2
> that could be used INSTEAD OF your bl2-x.tgz package

I am no longer developing stuff for BL2. My focus is entirely
on BL3 now.

> Would a dynamic glibc (libc6, 2.1.3) Xvesa be larger or smaller
> than the static uClibc that you compiled?

Around the same size. But, if you are running glibc2 libraries,
you would be better off with a dynamic glibc2 version. I suspect
that some (most?) of the problems we are having with Xvesa are
caused by the way it was compiled (static uClibc).

> > Yes. Although I am running into relatively few programs
> > that fail to compile on libc5. A much bigger impediment
> > is Xvesa.
>
> Impediment in what way?

They work fine with a normal Xserver, but they crash with Xvesa.
Usually the crash is immediate. Sometimes the program comes up
fine, but crashes the first time you click on it.