baslinux - Re: [BL] uClibc and BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] uClibc and BL3
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:51:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

Sean Parker wrote:

Would it be worth it to staticly compile stuff for BL3
against uClibc.

I've had to do this already. The current version of
busybox no longer works with libc5. Same with Xvesa.
So BL3 contains static uClibc versions of busybox and
Xvesa.

Would the BL3 Xvesa that you compiled also work in BL2?
Is there any chance of your posting an xvesa add-on for BL2 that could be used INSTEAD OF your bl2-x.tgz package and all those other packages?
I still have not got Xvesa working with the added fonts in BL2. I installed (copied over) about 1-1.5MB of mostly library files and everything else works except fonts, which it can't seem to find.

And Realaudio won't install in my version for some reason but maybe it wants a faster computer. It would not install even in the full X version on that computer.

Opera and some other precompiled packages (recent versions) won't work with BL3. The add-on would be greatly appreciated, and could it include icewm like bl2-x.tgz does? bl2-xvesa.tgz

I know you are more interested now in BL3 but please don't entirely abandon BL2. I have been suggesting it to a friend who wants to set up a full-size linux on a P166 for a Mac person to learn programming on. He said SW7-1 would not install right, wanted frame-buffer. BL2 installed on any 486 or 586 I tried it on, including a couple that other linuxes (SW9.1 etc.) refused to accept for some reason. (Did not like the monitor?)

What I mean is do you save that much space

A static uClib version is certainly much smaller than
a static libc5 version. But a dynamic libc5 is still
smaller than the static uClibc.

Would a dynamic glibc (libc6, 2.1.3) Xvesa be larger or smaller than the static uClibc that you compiled?

and/or does it allow you to compile newer
versions of program than you could with libc5?

Yes. Although I am running into relatively few programs
that fail to compile on libc5. A much bigger impediment
is Xvesa.

Impediment in what way?