baslinux - Re: [BL] uClibc and BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] uClibc and BL3
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 18:27:48 +1200

Sean Parker wrote:

> Would it be worth it to staticly compile stuff for BL3
> against uClibc.

I've had to do this already. The current version of
busybox no longer works with libc5. Same with Xvesa.
So BL3 contains static uClibc versions of busybox and
Xvesa.

> What I mean is do you save that much space

A static uClib version is certainly much smaller than
a static libc5 version. But a dynamic libc5 is still
smaller than the static uClibc.

> and/or does it allow you to compile newer
> versions of program than you could with libc5?

Yes. Although I am running into relatively few programs
that fail to compile on libc5. A much bigger impediment
is Xvesa.