baslinux - Re: [BL] XF86Config

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] XF86Config
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:38:50 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Andrey wrote:

Please help me to config my GeForce 2 MX400 64mb and monitor ViewSonic
G655 (1024x768) in XF86Config under X. What packages I should to install
for 1024x768 32bit ? (BasicLinux 2)

Your computer clock appears to be losing time (June 2).

Steven has a list at the BL2 website of packages to be installed for setting up X. Install BL2-X last so that icewm will work. His setup provides plain VGA and is nearly foolproof.

Then if you want more than 16 color VGA, install the X server that matches your card, probably in this case XSVGA. These are all Slackware 7.1 packages. Run xf86config (Xf86config?) and choose the lowest values for horizontal and vertical refresh that match your monitor's highest resolution, unless you know the correct ones for your monitor.

Another option is to install all of the above packages but instead of SVGA use the delilinux xvesa.tgz package, which does not require configuration.
Then type
startx -- /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvesa -screen 1024x768x32

You need the full path to Xvesa when using startx or xinit.

(It might be possible to make a symlink from X to Xvesa instead of specifying the full path - I have not tried this - and then use startx without specifying Xvesa's path. You can experiment. cd /usr/X11R6/bin ln -s Xvesa X).

Xvesa is an alternative X server that is much easier to set up, and is used in BL3. But it causes various problems (for instance if you are using some font in console mode it may unload it) and if it does not work, you will need to boot linux after rebooting DOS without any autoexec.bat or config.sys. Usually Win9x DOS or DR-DOS (I think) are okay but MS-DOS 6.22 himem.sys interferes with Xvesa. Sometimes Win9x DOS also interferes. Hit F5 while booting into DOS to 'bypass system files'. Or boot from a floppy boot disk without autoexec.bat or config.sys on it.

Steven's bl2-x.tgz package almost always works, but for more resolution you will need to use the other X server (SVGA or Xvesa).

Good luck if you use SVGA - you need to answer a lot of questions correctly about graphics cards, monitors, etc. Make sure to choose 1024 as the FIRST resolution listed in the XF86Config file.

You can find delilinux via a websearch or via James' add-on site, which is linked to Steven's BL2 site (or maybe to Steven's add-on page).

  • Re: [BL] XF86Config, sindi keesan, 09/11/2004