baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 reports => FTP

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 reports => FTP
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 05:38:04 -0500 (CDT)

Creating the file /etc/service and adding there lines to the effect
---------------------------
ftp 21/tcp
fsp 21/tcp fspd
---------------------------
did, indeed, cause the ftp client from BL1 to work (I copied information
for /etc/services from my Debian system: can't say I really learned much,
but I did get to employ my tech cannibalism skills a bit). I can now ftp
to other machines on my network. But, sadly, this doesn't accomplish the
goal I hoped to accomplish. You see, I was hoping to get mc's ftp
capabilities working, since it gives a nice listing of files and dirs on
local and remote machine from/to which copying can be done. I now think
the problem with mc's ftp capabilities lies with the mount command. My
speculation is that I can't get ftp to work from mc is because it uses the
full mount, which has the filesystem type ftpfs (mount -t ftpfs
user:passwd AT IP.ofyour.ftp.server). That's a bit of speculation on my part
arrived at after seeing some error messages. Maybe because the full mount
is not included in BL3 mc can't run mount -t ftpfs? Further feedback
appreciated.

James