baslinux - Re: [BL] Finally, old laptop success: ready for testing

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Finally, old laptop success: ready for testing
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 08:04:56 +1200

James Miller wrote:

> I am happy to report that my pcmcia network card works
> just fine,

I got a no-name PCMCIA network card a couple of days ago,
popped it into my laptop, booted BL3 and (beep,beep) it
came up just fine. This is *much* easier than installing
a new NIC on a desktop. It appears that just about every
PCMCIA network card (except Xircom and 3Com) works with
the pcnet driver in BL3.

> 1) I could turn the 650MB free space into an extended DOS
> partition and locate various fs.img's there;
>
> 2) I could expand my 100MB partition to take up the whole
> drive and just put any fs.img's on c;
>
> 3) I could make 2 (or more) additional partitions in the
> existing free space for ext2fs HD install(s) of BL3.

I'd go with four (primary) partitions:
(1) DOS (bootable) around 300mb
(2) Linux swap twice RAM
(3) Linux native around 350mb
(4) Linux native 50mb

That gives you room for several fs.img files on DOS and
a BL3 partition big enough to take large add-ons. Plus
a small Linux partition for B1/B2 or for quick-and-dirty
BL3 experiments.