baslinux - Re: [BL] Connecting via ethernet

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Connecting via ethernet
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 23:07:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 14 May 2004, James Miller wrote:

> On Fri, 14 May 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:
>
> > First we have one last computer to set up, and I will try with links this
> > time. I don't follow how to use links to download from another computer.
> > How do I view files that are on another computer? links 192.168.1.2?
>
> As I recall Steven describing this earlier, it is necessary to run an http
> server on the computer you want to transfer files *from.* You cd to the
> directory where the files you want your other host to be able to access
> are and execute the http server start script there (httpd maybe?). Then,
> you can access those files form another host on your network and press d
> in links to download them to the host on which links is running. Without
> using an http server, it won't work.
>
> James

Do I really just need to type 'httpd' or must I load some modules and
specify settings etc. as well? This sounds too easy.

Can't do anything for a while because my partner decided to see what would
happen if we formatted a 1G DOS partition and a 2G Win98 partition, FAT32,
with 1K clusters. It saves a bit of space and takes even longer to
defragment.

Instead of attempting httpd I simply copied over all the DOS files to the
other computer with Steven's send/receive scripts and ethernet, and then
deleted what I did not want, in DOS. It was still maybe 50 times as fast
as DOS llpro and being selective (except for the 4 hour defrag
afterwards).