baslinux - Re: [BL] Connecting via ethernet

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Connecting via ethernet
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 17:57:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 15 May 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > One of the four is not working.
> > insmod rtl8139 - 'device or resource busy'.
> > I did this three times, powering off each time.
> > Is this card dead?
>
> Does a recent net.i find anything? If not, biff it.

What might a recent net.i find? This had the same chip number (rtl8139D)
as a card that worked, and it is PCI so I don't need to set anything.

> > The Kingston ISA card tells me 'No NE*000 card found at
> > i/o=0x120 when I do insmod ne io=0x300 irq=10
>
> As I said before, the irq is not necessary (in fact it will
> mess things up if you use the right address but the wrong IRQ).

For the Winbond 906 I was not able to insmod UNTIL I gave it an IRQ. I
tried both ways. After that ifconfig worked (but the card did not). THat
is why I put in the IRQ. You did not say if the Winbond card (which
behaves as expected when I type route) is dead, if it does not ping.

> > also for 0x280 320 340 360.
>
> Yes, those are the most likely io addresses (but not all).
> Try them without the IRQ parameter.

I will try again without the irq, some day, on this Kingston card.

First we have one last computer to set up, and I will try with links this
time. I don't follow how to use links to download from another computer.
How do I view files that are on another computer? links 192.168.1.2?

My partner pointed out that the Novell 1993 version of what is now called
DR-DOS (and has been Caldera DOS - who owns the latest non-free version?)
includes Novell Netware and comes with drivers for ne1000 and many other
cards that I do not have. I think I have downloaded Netware-related files
for some of my cards and will play with this some day too.