baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 11:48:29 -0400 (EDT)

> >>Another feature I would find helpful is to add more video
> >>options to Xsetup.
> >>

> >Xsetup is just for beginners. You can set whatever video mode
> >you want manually in /etc/Xconfig.
> >

> I know and have been experimenting with Xvesa, but just one more would
> be helpful like 640x480x8 which is common to old note books and to old
> video cards.

Have you been able to get Xvesa working at 640x480x8 on your computers?
On all the video cards which I tested for that, Xvesa crashes in 8-bit
color. I get the top third of the screen in blue vertical stripes.
I just checked this again with the very common S3 Trio64V+ pci video card.
listmodes says it can do 8-bit, but it won't.

If 8-bit works for you, perhaps Steven could include that option with a
warning that it might crash.

I get 4, 15, 16 or 24 bit okay.

12-bit does not seem to exist, and it substitutes 15 or 16 bit.

Steven, would you mind rewriting the Xsetup and mail scripts without m]
(which you used for bold) to avoid the problem which has occurred on three
of our computers when using those scripts? (We typed, nothing displayed,
nothing happened, could exit with Ctrl-C but the menu still would not work
after that on the original console. On a second console things worked.)