baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:51:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > Steven, what video chip/card actually displays either
> > 8 or 12 bit color for you?
>
> I don't know how many bits it is. All I know is: I see no
> improvement going from 640x480 to any number less than 12.
> At 640x480x12, I get lots more colors. So that's what I used
> in BL3.

I think this is because when you ask Xvesa to do 12-bit it is doing 15 or
16-bit, and when you ask for 8-bit you are getting 4-bit, but your
card/chip may be different from mine. I checked what was happening by
seeing how much RAM was used. 12-bit used the same as 15. 11-bit was the
same as 8-bit which might also be the same as 4-bit if your card does not
do 8-bit.

> As I've said before, Xvesa is flakely. It was *very* difficult
> to compile and it clearly doesn't like being booted from DOS.
> I've given up trying to understanding it and am simply trying
> to live with it. I wish we could use something else. But Xvesa
> is currently the best thing we have. (sigh)
>
> > I can't get Xvesa to display 8-bit.
>
> I'm certainly not disagreeing with you.

So I think it is probably best NOT to include 8-bit as a choice for
beginners. And unless some video chip/card that one of our group is using
specifically supports 12 bit as opposed to 15-bit, give a choice of 4-bit
or 15-bit, not 12-bit color depth, which I found confusing.

> > Are there some laptops which WILL display 8-bit color with
> > Xvesa?
>
> I don't think it makes much difference on a mono laptop.
> I currently have four 486 laptops: three of them are mono
> and the fourth gives me lots of colors at 640x480x12.

But this is probably the same number of colors as it gives at 15-bit
because when you ask for 12-bit it is doing 15-bit (or 16-bit, depending
on the card).