baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:08:00 +1200

Robert Steinmetz wrote:

> > I actually did buy one (at the local online auction)
> > a couple of weeks ago, but the dongle was missing.
>
> 10baseT or will coax suffice?

The card I got is a Xircom CE-10B2, which I think was
initially sold with a coax dongle (no dongle came with
the one got from the auction). Whether it can use a
10baseT dongle, I do not know. I'm very new to this
PCMCIA stuff (until a few weeks ago I didn't realize
how important the dongle is).

I would prefer to use a 10baseT dongle. My main computer
has a built-in 10baseT interface that I'm currently using
with a crossover cable. However, if I end up with a coax
dongle, I do have coax network gear in a box that I could
set up.

> the 2.2.16 kernel may not compile more recent drivers like
> PrismII and Orinoco. If we could just get these 2 it would
> be amazing and cover many of the cards out there.

Are there Type II PCMCIA wireless cards? Or do they all need
cardbus? None of the 486 laptops I've seen can do cardbus.

> Is there anything we can do to get some wireless capability
> in BL3,

Not in the default kernel. Every byte is precious for systems
with 4mb RAM (or less).

> even if its an alternate kernel?

If it is actually possible for 486 laptops to use wireless
network cards, I will be happy to put an appropriate kernel
for BL3 on the download page.

> The card-database may require translation, there were some
> changes in how this was handled over the life of the pcmcia
> package.

I'll be stripping the PCMCIA package anyway. I might even
eliminate the card-database entirely. Why waste space on a
huge list of specifications, 99% of which will never be used?