baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 19:50:41 +1200

Robert Steinmetz wrote:

> Do you intend to add PCMCIA support at this time?

I've bid on a few PCMCIA cards at auction, but so far
no luck. Until I actually have a card to experiment
with, I can't move on this. Hopefully, this will be
done in the next month or so.

> If so I suggest the you add CONFIG_NET_RADIO to the
> kernel

Sorry, the size of the default kernel is crucial for low
RAM systems. Does the bare.i kernel have that capability?
If not, I'm willing to do a custom kernel for that. So far,
I've done a custom BL3 kernel optimized for 486DX systems
(which I am now using on my laptop). I'll make it available
on the site soon and hope to have several specialized kernels
for BL3 there (eventually).

> I just got BL3 running on a Zenith Zlite color w/12 MB of
> ram and it is amazing what it can do.

Wait till you see the new X application in BL 3.10. It is
the application I use most often on my laptop and I am thrilled
to get a slim version working for BL3.

> If it had PCMCIA support I could access the internet

It will definitely have PCMCIA. I tried to configure the default
BL3 kernel to do PCMCIA, but until I actually try it, I can't be
sure.

> Another feature which might be helpful and which I haven't
> looked into at all is support for drivespaced (compressed)
> DOS file systems.

I don't think Linux is able to do that. If it has that capability,
it will probably be inside mtools.

> Another feature I would find helpful is to add more video
> options to Xsetup.

Xsetup is just for beginners. You can set whatever video mode
you want manually in /etc/Xconfig.