baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:50:32 +1200

Robert Steinmetz wrote:

> What kind of card are your trying to get?

A PCMCIA (non-cardbus) network card *with* dongle.
Getting one with a dongle is the hard part. I
actually did buy one (at the local online auction)
a couple of weeks ago, but the dongle was missing.

> > Does the bare.i kernel have that capability?
> >
> No it doesn't.

Right. I'll probably do a custom kernel for that
(assuming it is worthwhile for a 2.2.16 kernel).

> My earlier experiments suggest this one additional
> parameter will not add very much the the kernel.

I'm not sure that it will take just one additional
parameter. The BL3 kernel is so bare that I suspect
I will need to add one or two other parameters to get
it to work.

> An old notebook kernel should be a consideration there.

486 notebooks are the primary target for BL3. That's
why I want to put PCMCIA into the foundation.

> If install the pcmcia package for Slack 7.1 do you think
> it will work?

No, 7.1 uses the wrong library. Hopefully, the PCMCIA package
from Slackware 4.0 will work. That will be my starting point
(although I will probably be using a card-database file from
a later Slackware).

> 640x480x8 which is common to old note books and to old video
> cards.

I've played around with the different Xvesa settings, and I can't
see an actual improvement going from plain 640x480 to 640x480x8.
I choose 640x480x12 for the menu because 12 is the lowest number
that appeared to provide any benefit for Xvesa. If you are sure
that Xvesa actually (not just theoretically) displays more colors
at 640x480x8 than it does at 640x480, please tell us.