baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and window managers

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and window managers
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:29:34 +1300 (NZDT)

Sindi wrote:

> I think I typed something like startx -e kermit but
> this is not working. This would be simpler than redoing
> rxvt size in the swm menu and fiddling with font sizes.

No, it won't be easier. You will still have to do fonts and
geometry.

> Another option is to use ratpoison,

There are many different wm. The BL1 version of icewm will
probably work on BL3, but I think you'd need to install some
extra libraries. Same for ratpoison.

> which is somewhat larger than swm but uses full-screen windows
> by default

You can easily use full-screen windows with swm. Just set the
geometry of the menu items to the appropriate numbers.

> You use keyboard commands to switch between windows.

In swm, ALT-TAB switches between windows.

> I can unpackage .deb packages using BL2 (ar -x

BL3 also has ar

> You only need the ratpoison executable,
> 215K old version compiled,

That's more than 10 times the size of swm!

> swm is 19K but needs 55K libXpm and mouse.

As I explained previously, it is possible to use swm without
a mouse. You don't even need the menu. Just start all your
applications full-screen in ~/.xinitrc and use ALT-TAB to
switch between them.