baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3-01 preliminary report

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3-01 preliminary report
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:29:33 +1300 (NZDT)

James wrote:

> How to know which modules?

pcmcia_core and ds are compulsory. i82365 might also be
compulsory (will have to trial+error that one). The
remaining modules are optional and depend on which NIC
(or other) card you want to use.

> And the card database will be gleaned from a newer release
> of modules, to include those that are most common?

The modules will come from Slackware 7.1 (to match the kernel).
The purpose of database is tell cardmgr which module is required
for a particular brand/model of card. We can include newly
released cards in the database as long as they use a module
in Slackware 7.1. However, space is an issue, so we don't want
to bloat the database with cards that nobody is likely to use.

> Starting pcmcia services

In Slackware that is done by rc.pcmcia (a script)

> under BL2 invoked several commands (5, as I recall) that
> were not satisfied. How do you plan on getting around that?

We will be doing our own script.

> Will the pcmcia package we're cobbling together obviate
> some of those commands?

I hope to bypass all of them.