baslinux - Re: [BL] Help !

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help !
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 06:08:56 -0500

Hi Steven,

As you can see from my mailer - I am back on the air with BL21. :)

Many thanks Steven, I owe you a beer. Or three. :)

But it wasn't easy, so I will expand below, in case it is of use to others
who make the same dumb mistakes as I did.

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:36:45 +1300
3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Ron Clarke wrote:
> >
> > So, from ram I had a look at what had changed:
> > glibcso had installed OK, but into the directory
> > /mnt/lib/incoming !! It didn't over-write anything.
>
> Ah, it's a two-part installation. I bet the real
> installation happens in /mnt/install/doinst.sh

Yes, it seems so.

> > Do I cp all from /mnt/lib/incoming to /mnt/lib ?
>
> Look for /mnt/install/doinst.sh. It should contain a
> list of steps to install the libraries. It normally
> runs as an automated script (as part of installpkg).
> See if you can do the steps by hand.

I had a look at it, and the install script did seem to make some sense.
All the extracted files had to be copied into /lib so I did all that.
The rest of the script involved removing symlinks, then replacing them with
the same link name but pointing to the original glibcso library files.

So I did all that. And I was able to boot the HD version of BL21.

Hooray !

But wait, there's more. :(

Startx still failed.

I re-installed a single SW7.1 package, and immediately lost control of the
system.

Rebooted, and got a "bootus interuptus" as before. RAM version confirmed
that
all the symlinks had reverted to what had caused the crash in the first place.

Re-wrote the symlinks as before, several times in all, before it occurred
me that the farkling may be linked to the last function before each crash -
the
running of ldconfig by installpkg. So I checked the file ldconfig against a
stable installation on another machine, and they were different. Copied the
other version to this one, and it has settled down and behaved itself.
Also copied installpkg, just in case.

Startx has also been fixed by copying the necessary files into a directory
in the path, from where they were put by some process not yet identified.

If this email gets to the list, then I will feel confident enough to
re-install
the two library packages from SW8.1.

Fingers crossed !

Regards,