baslinux - Re: [BL] Help !

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: Ian Scott <mriscott AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help !
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 06:56:29 +1000

Hi Ian,

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 20:56:21 +1100, Ian Scott wrote:
> Have you still got a BL ramdisk?

Yes.

> Boot to that, then mount your broken partition.
> mount /dev/hdax /mnt
> (The exact value for hdax is the partition you installed BL to)
> Then look in /mnt. You may be able to find the problem - if it's missing a
> library, perhaps you can copy it from the ramdisk version??

That is in progress, under Steven's guidance.

> If nothing else, you can copy any data, downloads, etc you want onto another
> partition before you give up.

Yep, done that.

Seems to me like there is a good case (when I have recovered properly)
for setting up a /BACKUP directory where I hold a mirror copy of / .
This BL installation is on a 34 GB partition, so I am not short of room.

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke
AUSREG Consultancy http://www.valylink.net.au/~ausreg/index.html