baslinux - [BL] Help !

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Help !
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 16:03:32 +1000

Hi Folks,

I think I stuffed up. :(

In my efforts to get my installation of BL2 to run more and more
players/viewers I finally overcooked it, and now I cannot get BL2 to
even boot properly.

I have saved (by RAM BL2) most of the irreplaceable stuff to a DOS
disk, and even tried to save most of the (mostly huge) downloaded stuff
that did work (as original packages), but I suspect there is not going
to be a way to avoid re-formatting the partition and start builing it
from scratch. Again. :(

What happened was this: I was trying to get Xine to play. And I
finally did. :)

But: In order to get it to run at all, I was pursuing bigger and
better libraries. I got as far as the two glibc-2.2.5 libraries from
Slakware8.1, and all was fine. Then I chased down a glibc-2.3- library
for something Xine wanted, and I finally found an .rpm of the right i386
sort - so I thought. But when I got MC to install it, I got a "corrupted
binary that linked to errno.h, and stuff", but Xine actually ran with
that. Hooray ! I thought.

Then I tried to run Links-graphical (among others) and got crash after
crash. Including pkgtool and installpkg - so I couldn't overwrite
anything anyway.

In my uneducated rush to fix it, I have now lost a lot of the
other libraries, and now it stops halfway through bootup to the message
that libX.something not found or doesn't exist.

Is there a way to recover all the work that has gone into this
particular installation, or am I really looking at a reformat and start
from scratch ?

Regards,
Ron (back to using Arachne in DOS)

Ron Clarke