baslinux - [BL] ppp-on fails

  • From: Rob Heard <rhea4446 AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] ppp-on fails
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 23:44:54 +1100 (EST)

Hi. I've just started trying to use basic linux and am having a
problem with the ppp connection. I've used pppsetup to input the
required info. ppp-on causes the modem to do all the right things for
about 15 seconds, but then it drops out. The session info file shows
that it dials up nicely, but fails at the user login. It seems to be
sending the right username, but the file shows that it's sending seven
asterisks when asked for the password - there are only 6 characters in
the password. I don't know if this is the problem. I've tried
retyping the password, adding spaces at the end, removing spaces,
replacing my username with the full username and address, but have
totally failed. I also tried versions 1.7 & 1.8 as well as the
current version. The same thing happened with all of them. Any
suggestions would be welcome.

The machine is an old 486 DX with 8M RAM. It works fine with DOS
dialups like dosppp and lsppp to the same modem bank, which uses unix
and hasn't previously been tricky. I haven't asked the IT helpdesk
because they only support Windows.

Cheers, Rob Heard