baslinux - Re: [BL] Realplayer8 and .bin

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Realplayer8 and .bin
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:36:45 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> I read the instructions more carefully and put ./ in front of the file
> name. It appears to be a script. It executed and installed Realaudio (I
> think, something appeared on the screen and I can run it as
> /usr/local/RealPlayer8/realplay but I don't have sound loaded so it cannot
> find the audio device). However it still told me while executing:
>
> Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "#3131ce".
> Segmentation fault.
>
> Maybe this only affects the movie player, which I have no intention of
> ever using. I wish you could download just the audio part, which would
> probably make this much smaller.
>
> I was using svga server while installing, not xvesa.

I was able to load the program but I cannot test it.

I signed up for the Realplayer UNIX forum and discovered that the color
problem is Realplayer's way of telling you it wants 24-bit color. I was
using SVGA server which is only 8-bit color. I don't want any colors in
my radio music.

The posting which got this explanation also complained of a segmentation
fault along with the color problem and did not say if the program actually
installed and ran. Solaris8.

Various other people complained about various other systems including
Sparc8 and Slackware (and RPM but that is another forum) getting
Segmentation Fault and not installing at all. One person said RealPlayer7
used to work but they cannto get 8 to install.

So it seems to be hardware dependent.

I may try a minimal linux on various computers until I get another one
where it works, that also has a free ISA slot. This rules out anything
other than our Pentium I's, unfortunately, and the Pentium I is the one
that did not work of the two I tried. Are there PII computers with more
than 2 ISA slots made? We have Gateways with 2 slots - one for a non-Win
modem and one for an HGC card so I don't need to look at ugly colors.
Opera will work in 2-bit color (just no images). I was planning to set up
the mono X server for mono and use Xvesa in case I needed colors on the
VGA monitor with a dual-monitor system.

I have been using Realplayer 8 for Opera on Win98 and Opera is doing some
odd things to the text size. It would be nice to get rid of Win98. The
odd things appeared after I changed video cards, which would not happen in
Linux using Xvesa driver for them all.

The video card change occurred when I moved my hard drive to a different
Gateway so as to set up the first one (which has a case cover) for a
friend. We were able to reuse a Win98 hard drive from a third computer.
It only required uninstalling the previous and current sound card drivers
and reinstalling the correct one so they would not conflict. The previous
attempt (a whole bunch of IRQ conflicts) must have involved much different
motherboards. These were both 233MHz (PI to PII but similar dates).
I only had to restart Win98 about 6 times to get this working.