baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Divide overflow

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Divide overflow
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:56:02 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > We have ruined 5 or 6 previously perfect floppy disks,
>
> As I said before, they are probably not ruined.
>
> > We tried this. Same problem with MS DOS 6.22.
>
> You put DOS 6.22 on the floppy (instead of bl2-fd.img) ?
> And it still didn't work?

He says no, he started over with a new disk rather than replacing the
operating system on that first disk made by your program, which was
already messed up by fdimage.

> > Jim wonders why you did not make a full 4M RAM disk,
> > but something just under that.
>
> Because that is the space needed to reassemble part1 and part2.
> I didn't want to run out of memory on computers with 8mb RAM.
> Keep in mind that loadlin needs to make it's own 4mb ramdisk
> and gunzip baslinux.gz into it. So we don't have a lot wriggle
> room with 8mb RAM.

Jim asks:
So the RAM used for the DOS RAMdisk is released and reused by linux?
(If not can it be mounted as a DOS partition from linux?)

On a computer with 8M RAM you have 4M RAM disk used as a linux partition
and 4M RAM (with linux kernel taking up most of it)?