baslinux - Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 08:43:34 +0000

Hi Steven,

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:24:08 +1300
3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Ron Clarke wrote:
> >
> > I have the Xvesa from DeliLinux and I have not been able
> > to make it work properly. I can get a speckled screen with
> > an X cursor, but no window manager, so there is one (vital !)
> > step I have not remembered.
>
> ---------------------------------
> xinit -- Xvesa -screen 800x600x16
> ---------------------------------
> That should start whatever you have in ~/.xinitrc

Actually, it doesn't. It just gives a list of CL parameters that don't make
much too sense to me.

However, in my haste to try it out, I misstyped the above as:

xinit 00 Xvesa -screen 800x600x16
two zeros -^^

and raised icewm in 16 colours ! And could not raise any more than 16
colours,
in spite of typing 800x600x32 x256 x32k etc..

So, it does work. But why ?

Regards,
Ron

--