baslinux - Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 22:49:32 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, James Miller wrote:
>
> > I'll just post some notes I found on running xvesa, since Sindi seemed
> > interested in trying to get it going. These are just the command line
> > arguments for starting the client:
> > xvesa -mouse /dev/psaux,5 -screen 800x600x32 -shadow -nolisten tcp -I
> > &>/dev/null
>
> Do I type the &>/dev/null at the end of the line (no wrap) or is it a
> prompt that snuck in and should be removed?

Should be all on one line. In other words, with just a normal space
between "-I" and "&>/dev/null" - like so:
800x600x32 -shadow -nolisten tcp -I &>/dev/null
(that's only the second half of that long argument, as you can likely see)

> your command line to start X. Do you know what -shadow and -nolisten and
> the part after that mean?

No, I don't. I'm guessing -nolisten and tcp belong together. Maybe for
security reasons (xvesa runs with full root priviledges, I think, for at
least part of its startup). I draw a blank on -shadow though.

Let us know if this helps your display endeavors.

Take care, James