baslinux - Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 23:35:49 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, James Miller wrote:

> I'll just post some notes I found on running xvesa, since Sindi seemed
> interested in trying to get it going. These are just the command line
> arguments for starting the client:
> xvesa -mouse /dev/psaux,5 -screen 800x600x32 -shadow -nolisten tcp -I
> &>/dev/null

Do I type the &>/dev/null at the end of the line (no wrap) or is it a
prompt that snuck in and should be removed?

I still cannot find Steven's other suggestion about what to add where when
trying XVESA but I vaguely recall having done this already a few days ago.
To the batch file used to boot with bare.i. I try to follow suggestions
before losing them.

I think the instructions are to use a VESA 2.0 card, install devs.tgz, use
bare.i with that added word or phrase in the boot file, and then type in
your command line to start X. Do you know what -shadow and -nolisten and
the part after that mean?

A friend just gave me an ATI Mach something and another S3 Trio64V+ card
to try if Xvesa does not work - they should both have accel drivers.